The TUC has produced some excellent guidance in a document entitled The Health and Safety of Older Workers. This recommends that reps ask their employers to consider the following:
- Does the employer have a policy on how they are going to retain and support older workers ?
- Are line managers trained on how to develop and support older workers ?
- Are risk assessments done that take into account individual needs and abilities ?
- Have these risk assessments identified possible risks that may be more likely to affect older workers ?
- Are union health and safety reps consulted on these risk assessments, and do they involve older workers ?
- Is training offered to all workers, regardless of age, and is it flexible enough to ensure that it is appropriate for all groups ?
- Do workers have access to occupational health services ?
- Are older workers given time off for regular health and eye checks ?
- Do workers have access to facilities such as Employee Assistance, fitness and nutrition programmes that are appropriate for all ages and genders ?